Friday, January 8, 2010
Grandfather Sighting!
A few years ago (at least 4 or more), I stopped at a breakfast place called Buffalo Grille to pick up some breakfast on my way to work. This is a cozy kind of place with lots of regular customers. It has a cozy kind of atmosphere, the coffee and breakfast aroma is very inviting from the moment you walk in. It has a fireplace in one corner and in the cold months there is always a fire going which was the case this morning. I haven't been there in a long while and since I had plenty of time I decided to stop in and pick up some breakfast. I hate cold weather so I really debated on where I would stop this morning, whether it would be at a drive-thru somewhere or if I would brave the cold and get out of the car. But I'm digressing.... four years ago (or so) I stopped on a cold morning and I was truly blessed as I waited for my breakfast (to go) when a grandfather with two grandsons came in for their breakfast. It was very apparent that they too were "regulars" by the way the wait-staff talked to them and by the way the grandfather ordered breakfast for his grandsons. Memories quickly flooded my heart of my grandfather taking us to Dairy Queen, El Chico, rides in the country and all the special yet very simple times that I spent with him. After being so touched by seeing this "stranger grandfather" and his grandsons, I went back to this same place quite a few times on Friday mornings and lo and behold he always came in with his grandsons. A few people at work teased me that I was a "grandfather stalker!" Eventually I gave up going very often and in fact this morning was the first time probably in more than a year. I am supposed to be weaning myself towards healthy eating this week but on this cold morning I opted for a good old comfort breakfast of French toast and sausage. As I was waiting for my order, who walked in but this SAME GRANDFATHER (oh yes, I would recognize him anywhere) with not just the two grandsons but also a granddaughter! I even recognized the grandsons although they are much taller now. I was so darned blessed to see them again. It was just so hard not to really stare at them! He ordered breakfast for all three and they went and sat at the table by the fireplace. I was wishing I hadn't ordered my food to go so I could watch them a little longer. I'm not sure why this is such a blessing to me but it surely lifted my spirits on this very cold morning. I've decided that even when I get to the healthy eating, I will stop more often for breakfast at the Buffalo Grille especially if I am in need of a good blessing! I know we can find blessings all around us if we just look, but aren't the surprise blessings the best of all? This grandfather truly invests in his grandchildren's lives and I'm sure they won't appreciate it until he has gone to heaven. I'm really missing my Papaw this morning after my grandfather sighting. I would love to have an ice-cream with him again in a country Dairy-Queen somewhere. In this fast hurry-scurry world we live in, it was nice to be reminded of a simpler time in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment